[Viking-devel] how to use viking for tracing using offline maps - possible ?
shirish शिरीष
2016-08-23 21:25:21 UTC
Hi all,

There isn't a user forum I know hence using this way. Am a beginner
about usage of viking, and gps in general .

My requirement/usage-scenario is simple. I need an OSM client which
can show traces on OSM maps (locally rendered and everything) with
vectors already downloaded.

At first glance it doesn't seem that there is a way to download a City
or State maps for offline use .

As an example, I have been able to access a service where that data is
available, see for instance

https://mapzen.com/data/metro-extracts/metro/pune_india/

I did see that there is a ~/.vikings/ and ~/.viking-maps but couldn't
figure out which format I need to download and how is that to be
extracted to be used by viking.

I did see however -

┌─[***@debian] - [~/.viking] - [10081]
└─[$] cat viking_layer_defaults.ini | grep mapfile

mapfile=

But as shared above, don't really know what needs to go in there,
hence looking for suggestions.
--
Regards,
Shirish Agarwal शिरीष अग्रवाल

Robert Norris
2016-08-23 22:43:20 UTC
Viking does not support vector (the raw data from OSM) maps - it only displays map tiles (https://www.mapbox.com/help/how-web-maps-work/).

You are better off using JOSM (https://josm.openstreetmap.de/) or Merkaartor (http://merkaartor.be/)

NB There is a forum for Viking at: https://sourceforge.net/p/viking/discussion/general/
Unfortunately I don't get notified when there are new messages, so it's only when I remember to check it that I can respond to any questions.

The 'mapfile' setting is for using a MBTiles file (raster format only).

Viking can generate Map Tiles itself using the mapnik render (same as that powers OSM.org), but requires configuration of the database server which is outside the scope of Viking. See http://switch2osm.org for information on the DB setup.

--
Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,