[Viking-devel] Location IP not working?
Nils
2016-07-18 08:20:25 UTC

getting the location at program start does not seem to be working. I'm
running the latest GIT sources:

** (viking:23172): WARNING **: curl_download_uri: http response: 404 for
uri http://api.hostip.info/get_json.php?position=true

Going to the URL gives a Error 404 Vhost unknown

Is there a generic format for returning the location, and are there
other services? If so, maybe this could become a setting? Else I guess
if this site has disappeared we just need another one.

Thanks
Nils
Robert Norris
2016-08-04 20:18:59 UTC
Yes unfortunately http://api.hostip.info seems permanently dead.

There isn't a generic format for returning a location (well there is if any one used GPX with a single waypoint!),

so everyone seems to invent their own XML and/or JSON (possibly with a published schema) for the various metadata fields that get returned in API request.

So one ends up writing specific code against specific websites [:(] (or even more complicated code to convert various schemas into Viking's internal representation).

It's quite possible I can change the code to use the service from http://www.geoplugin.com/ instead.

It would helpful you could create a Viking Bug on Source Forge to remind me to do this.

--
Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,

Nils
Robert Norris
2016-08-14 20:26:10 UTC
The latest source code has a fix for this, using http://www.geoplugin.com/

Luckily it was quite easy to switch the code to use this provider instead.

--
Be Seeing You - Rob.
If at first you don't succeed,